View Single Post
Old 24th January 2012, 09:39
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashtun View Post
Yes, a great occasion to capture on video

Did you fit anything to your chassis for the tops of the stands to locate into or just rely on the friction between chassis and stands being greater than the rolling resistance?
That is a good question Mark.
I relied on friction, which was fine most of the time. The only problem I had was when I rolled it out to work outside on nice days. I had a pig of a job to get the small wheels to climb over the 1" lip back in to the garage. I ended up making a steel ramp to help, but even then the stands would slide on the chassis, and on one occassion, tip over. I then had my "BIG yellowjack" lift my car up INSIDE the garage. I had to extend the forks with an I beam about 4m long to lift the front of the car back on to its stand without taking the garage roof off!
H&S would have had a fit!!!!!!!!!

But I really would recommend stands for any new builder, even in a single garage - perha[s even more so. It makes it so easy to move side ways.

I made my own - wrongly first time, as I made the heights the same - only to relise the chassis rises up over the rear wheels, so the rear stand has to be approx 6" higher than the front.
Stands, and a mechanics trolley have been brilliant. A definite must.