View Single Post
Old 11th June 2019, 19:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post
Excellent quality of work and good progress. However a word of caution. The engine to chassis earth has a weakness at the shoulders of the terminals that in time will fracture due to their small cross section compared with the strength of the cable. Better to use the flat braided type of earth strap. Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
flat braided earth strap should be used, no question.
Don't set yourself up for a failure, please.
Thanks to both of you for your feedback and concern. I do always try to build the best car that I can so keen to get this right.

I'm not sure I fully understand the failure mode you are concerned about but it did prompt me to look up the specification of the cables I have fitted.
They are made up from "Hi-Flex" battery cable that has a CSA of 25 square mm rated at 170 amps.
It is a multi-strand cable made up of 322 individual 0.30 strands covered in a very soft and flexible PVC sheath.
It results in an extremely flexible cable that is quite unlike the type of battery cables that you find on old cars.
But, I've not been able to find the strand size of a typical flat braided earth strap for comparison.