View Single Post
Old 29th March 2017, 17:53

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The project is now sat in my mates workshop in Southampton awaiting the framework to be fabricated ...

In it's absence , Glan has carried on with the screen mould and the headlight covers ...The screen mould is fairly simple , we screwed a bit of lexan onto the cowl area I saved from the plug when it was cut up and disposed of ...a mould was taken from this and the screw holes filled ...we are going to mould a thin fibreglass one and cut it to fit the body , this will also become the trimming template for the guys making the screens and headlight covers for us .....

I am thinking about changing my screen style and modifying the posts slightly , so I can have the option of single screen like the Ferrari's etc. or the doors can be fitted with side screens like the Maserati's ...these would be in the same thickness as the screen , thicker than the original S*mmio format and attach to the return edge on the inside of the doors ...

Glan also started on the headlights ... I bought 2 Vincent Cafe racer style fairings from a mate of mine who was clearing out a load of Vincent and other motorcycle parts ....they were both slightly damaged , so very cheap ...

Glan cut the centres out , trimmed them and I screwed them to the two wing tips we kept from the plug ...

These were sanded slightly and plasticined around the edges and a mould taken ...

some plywood braces and feet were added at the same time ...

these were popped off and trimmed ...

Glan made a couple of fibreglass examples from the mould to 'prove' them ..these were trimmed and test fitted to the bonnet that hasn't gone to Southampton with the rest of it ...

Tomorrow Glan will lay up another set and put wooden braces on them as the concave lenses need a 2 piece mould to make them , the plastic is draped on one mould and pressed with the secondary one , the moulds are oversize to get the crinkled waste plastic away from the main lense area when its squashed and they will be trimmed back to size afterwards ..... The screen is a single mould as its curved but only one way , not concave ...