View Single Post
Old 13th December 2014, 15:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Part 2:
I also need to make a final decision about whether to attach the bottom of the bonnet to the sides of the body shell.

If I do, then this section of my Spitfire bulkhead will provide the level for the join.

In addition, I need to square the front edge of the bonnet lip on the body shell to match the cockpit edge of the scuttle.

Over to the driver's side of the bonnet, where the biggest problem is still the fact the wheel is exposed.

If anything, the driver's side appears to "tilt" inwards.

Although it is not easy to see in this photo, but with the passenger side in position, the driver's side comes up a little "short".

I knew what Mac did to fix this bonnet problems so I got my marker pen out.

Then after taking a deep breath, I channelled my inner Frankenstein...

And made the cut...

Although I'm blaming the cold weather for the slight wobble in my cutting.

Again, the bottom of the bonnet needed to be trimmed on this side to bring the top corner into line.

In order to start putting all of this back together, I will need to temporarily screw the bonnet to the body shell in places.

As I couldn't even clamp the main section into position properly.

However, at this point, my wife and children were returning from their Christmas shopping & my time outside was at an end.

So for now I've had to leave the bonnet in a bit of a mess.

But past experience has shown me that this can be re-built (eventually).

I will also have to flatten the central bonnet bulge as part of these bonnet modifications.

I have been dreading sorting this mess out, but now I have made a start, I will try to get on with it.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
As part of my Christmas cleaning, I started on the front windows too.

To my horror, something I thought was dirt, turns out to be old metal angle grinder sparks burnt into the glass.

Any suggestions on how to clean this before my wife spots it would be most welcome.