Thread: Sammio for sale
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2017, 22:13

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
I had a complete Herald sat at the shop and sent the old V5 in to do a standard change of ownership ...the car had been mothballed for over 30 years , so no MOT history or Tax history since the 80's ...the V5 was issued in about 86 from memory...DVLA requested an inspection due to the amount of time off the road , I reckon they suspected it was a 'kitchen drawer' situation and the car was long gone...SCS came along and made an inspection report stating the car was incomplete ( headlight glasses and surrounds and Speedo sat on the back seat ) DVLA issued a letter stating that they won't issue a V5c until the car has a full MOT . I think that they might still have thought the car was going to be scrapped and it was a V5c creation exercise...
The car was MOT'd about 6 months later ...you have an open file for 12 months with case like this before they return your application.

Something that goes to show how things are changing as Micky says , even having a complete car sat there that has all VIN and engine numbers matching isn't always enough to guarantee getting a V5c issued unconditionally ...
I can see this being a problem for older donors in the future. Many older donors like your Triumph that have been off the road for years could need a major restoration in their own right to pass an MOT. Then you would have to strip away all your hard work to get to the rolling chassis that you want to use.

Under the new rules your rusty old donor would technically be exempt from the MOT, whilst your newly created rebody with rebuilt brakes, clean and rust free chassis would need one !! ??

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 15th November 2017 at 12:18..