View Single Post
Old 6th May 2017, 18:40

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Cool Shelsley Walsh Speed Hill Climb

Today I took the A352 on its first sortie to this venue. I've been umpteen times going back well over two decades but I still get a thrill as I drive the twisty and undulating last few miles there through glorious Herefordshire countryside.

It was a chilly start and, on arrival, the young lad waved me to the front rank of the visitors' parking area: he'd no doubt been primed to do this with anything old or interesting. I was next to a TR2 or 3 and was almost immediately sandwiched by a very expensive looking (and very bright!) 17 plate Lotus.

I wandered down to the paddock and made a bee line for the two 'D Types' which were competing. Neither was the one from Prescott two weeks ago. I only saw the very young looking driver of the green one and had quite a long conversation with him. He told me he and his father had bought it on a whim the Xmas before last as "something to play with". Can't be bad. It turned out to be an LM and had a very authentic interior and a novel flip back end like a Westfield XI.

The other, in classic US racing colours, failed to impress. It had nasty wheels, was quite severely slammed, and the interior was let down by a thick leather rimmed steering wheel. To be fair, looking at his massive roll over bar, I think the owner was competition rather than authenticity focussed. Next to them, and competing in their class, was a glorious looking and sounding Kougar, very impressive!

The turnout of punters was disappointing but, given the overcast, wind and cold weather, hardly surprising. Nevertheless, a good day out . Apologies for the photo's - shivering didn't help!

Regards, Mick