View Single Post
Old 27th July 2009, 14:26

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road
Default IVA Day 2, Revenge of the tester....

No to be honest he was a helpful chap.

Unlike Tim I decided to drive over to Taunton, shadowed by my son with a tow rope. The weather was appalling and I discovered the newly fitted hood leaked from the top rail and water also dripped onto my knees. The exhaust came loose on the way there, I had not done up a bolt tight enough.
I was expection a fail on the VIN plate, as I didn't have one. I had bought one and punched the VIN on it, but used an upsidedown 5 instead of a 2 and cocked the whole thing up. Still there was a VIN welded to the N/S chassis.

Also the speedo became 'entertaining'. It is an ETB one with a hall effect pickup and I had calculated the pulse per mile. I had been surprised when I took it for an MOT that it read 15mph when my wife said I was doing 30, so I divided the pulses per mile by 2 and everything seemed OK. That was until I hit 35 leaving town when it suddenly indicated 70. From then on it indicated twice my speed, until I dropped below 35 when it read correctly. It must be picking up only one magnet when going slower than 35 and two when going faster.

On to the Test:
1. VIN Failed. Not only the missing plate BUT the Marlin VIN is on the wrong (N/S) side, and was spread over 2 lines.
2. Debate over the emisions. The Serria DOHC engine has the number on a paper label on the front of the engine. In 19 years its become illigible. However Haynes showed a carburetted DOHC so the emissions test was done for that.. phew! it passed.
3. No Yellow sticker within 100mm of brake fluid filler cap.
4. Radius failures.
a)The running boards were OK, but where they could be defined as mudguards they failed. The test allowed 1.5mm rad on GRP, unless it was a mudgard in which case it has to be 2.5
b)Nut and bolt heads inside the front wheel arch, and the nut on the sterring rack tie rod end.
c)two 'sharp' bits of plastic on the heater assembly.
5. Wiring. From the sidelights and repeater lamps needed to be in a sleeve

Surprises:
1. The Cobra seats passed. The marginal bit was the height of the slots for the full harness belts. The tester seemed to improvise the seat back height test.
2. Brakes: Failed first time round on the foot pedal to my surprise. However heating the brakes up and it passed. I'd done a brake test and it easily locked the wheels up, so I was surprised by that initial failure.
3. My awful bodge to insulate the petrol tank and provide drainage away from the exhaust was never even commented on.
4. Low exhaust, no comments except advising me to back of a test ramp instead of going off forward.

So where do I get nut covers from?
and where do I get rubber U section, 3mm internal width?
answers on a post card, or post on the forum!

I wasn't raining coming back and I've still got a grin on my face.
Available from eBay