View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2006, 15:29
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Oredring stage

Hi Newcomer.

I recieved my kit in february, and today just got it to the point of a rolling chassis, as I have a week off later in June and hope to put the engine in.

In the matter of which car, I have chosen to stick with the 1600 k series, for two reasons, 1 as you stated earlier Marlin are very keen on that, but also for cost, the Rover 200 buble shape around P reg supplies most of the donor parts. I have had to source several bits separatelly, the fuel neck, as this was the type from the earlier Rover pre P reg, cost £3. The front caliper carriers, as the rover I had, had non vented front disks, and the rear calipirs, and carriers, and hand brake cables. If you went second hand probaby get change ut of £150.

You probably will want new brakes and some other bits, you can try Adrian at British car parts, 01884 35745, tell him you are building the Marlin.

These are in no way reccomendations of what car to go for, but just going over what I have used.

The car goes together quite well most parts fit with the minimum of modifying, but as said by some one else, this aint no Westy.

If you order packs 1&2, they come with the bulk of what you need, a few others had made comments of what else to buy which makes good sence, I also reccomend you buy the carpets (You can lay the chassis on them and mark them out then store them) the fuel and servo pipes, and the cat, although marlin do supply a link pipe, but depending on where you are going in so much as registration you may need a cat in the car is post about 93 ish.

What I would suggest, and this is only a personel view, but use as much as you can from the donor car, if thats the route you take, as these bits should not give any issues at SVA, after you can titivate as you like.

As you have seen from the forum there is a lot of useful help and advise there, I find it better sometimes rather than going to Marlin, as people often find better ways of doing things.

Are you in the south east?

Best wishes with the build.

Steve