View Single Post
Old 24th June 2009, 02:53
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road
Default Dino 246 engine

Hi Lewy,
good to hear someone else is working on the Dino engine solution. I bought a couple of these about 20-25 years ago. The Dino V6 that was used in the Fiat Dino (Spider & Coupe 1967-72), "Ferrari" Dino 206 & 246 (1968-74) and the Lancia Stratos was directly descended from the F1 Dino racing motors. They were all built by Fiat and have FIAT cast into them. The first 2 litre one is all aluminium and then came the cast iron block 2.4. Only the Fiat ones were front engine / rear wheel drive. The Ferrari/Lancia versions used Ferrari's transverse gearbox for mid mounting. These crop up occasionally for sale. There is a 2.4 on Ebay now - suitable for a rebuild sitting at US$3000 with a few days to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...7%7C240%3A1318

I sold my 2.4 in 1985 to a company in Sussex called EuroSpares. I heard it running the day before delivering it to them but the next day they stopped the cheque and said it would not turn over! They then gave me less money for it. I would have taken the motor back but they had dismantled it and I was returning to NZ the next week. You live and learn - draw your own conclusions about dealing with such companies. I still have a 2 litre but it is in pieces and requires a complete rebuild. My plan is to adapt it to Mazda MX5 gearbox/diff etc and build a Fiat Dino Spider replica. There are a few Fiat Dino Yahoo group members in OZ - join the group and ask around, someone may have a Dino engine closer to home
Cheers
Ross in NZ