View Single Post
Old 24th October 2005, 22:03
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason, welcome to the world of Sportster builders.
I started in the engine bay, removing everything I could before moving on the interior, engine, gearbox, differential and exterior parts. I kept a lot of parts like lights, etc which I won't be using but there is a lively market for second hand parts on eBay. (I've seen fog lights go for £70!)
Basically, keep removing parts but leave the steering, suspension and wheels to last. That way you can keep moving he car around by hand. Finally, I built this flat trolly from some old Dexion (angle shelving stuff with lots of holes) and some nylon 12" casters I picked up at a boot sale for £5. The trolly has proved invaluable because now I have my Sportster chassis sitting on it. I'm building my car in a single lockup garage so the trolly allows me to move it in and out and turn it around when required. The most useful tool I bought was a 24 inch breaker bar, absolutely the best £11 I spent at a Kit car show. The Bentley Manual is also invaluable and much more inforamtive than the Haynes manual that came in the boot of my donor.
I stripped everything back to the shell and only had one nut (a track rod end) that needed heat to remove. The best penetrating oil is called Plus Gas, which used to be very common. It seems to be rare now, so if you see some at a show, buy two cans! I have worked out a way dismmantling practically everything, including wheel bearings, so if you get stuck, let me know.

all the best with the dirty bits