View Single Post
Old 4th June 2018, 17:07

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
looks good. From reports I've seen (may or may not be accurate!) the clear coat destroys the finish (but that doesn't sound logical). All reports are consistent in saying that whatever you do, don't touch the silver with bare hands prior to the clearcoat. It will be interesting to see your verdict when it's finished.
The supplier has a "special" clear cote that must be used. It's the tedious process of application that takes the time. The "chrome paint" goes over a very well prepared (1000 grit) panel after using any single stage gloss black base coat that must dry for a week before applying the chrome with an airbrush or touch-up gun by carefully "fogging" it on at low pressure in several coats in fifteen minute stages, after gently wiping with a new microfiber between coats. Clear coat is applied 24 hours after the final chrome coat.

The length of time to do this is the only downside. I'll use it on my 250 SWB grille surround after careful fitting. My kit has landed in the USA last night, but it may be several days before I can get my hands on it. Transport from US Customs will take a few days.

Bottom line is that it is a very viable solution for chrome effect substrates.