View Single Post
Old 19th September 2018, 20:09

Barber is on a distinguished road
Default Where we are heading

Lancelot Link raised a valid point about not enough pictures of how the car is shaping up, soI thought I would share some of the thinking about how Chris and I are evolving the Z3gato.

For the side profile, all the Zagato/Pininfarina influences of the 1960s come into play in part. However, the images below of the Lancia Flamina and the AM DB4 models give the general impression best, though at the front, the AM more round wing profile and the Lancia Appia is more where we are going. At the rear, we are definitely going for a longer boot as the Lancias and AM show, rather than the short one on the Bristol. The Lancia Flamina’s front wings have a bit of the Jaguar look about them, and we are not going for that.

The Bristol gives a better idea of where the rear quarter light is going to be, though it is not too dissimilar to the others.

Note the slight flares on the Flamina’s arches. The Appia and Bristol have none, and the AM only on the front. Though the Z3gato arches are rounded, they will have the flares. The hump over the wheel arch will be more like the Bristil/AM, and the wing will taper down as per the lancia Appia and the AM.

Lancia Flamina Side

Lancia Appia Side

AM Side

Bristol Side

For the rear, you can see from progress so far, that the wing profiles are quite different. The AM is horizontal/rounded, whereas the Lancia Appia has quite pronounced sloping shoulders. The Z3gato will be somewhere between, and is looking good to me (which right now is all that matters).

Rear lights will be more like the AM, ie separate units, but set within a single recess. The number plate light unit is going to be the plate/reverse light as per Jaguar, AM and several others of the period. The AM has a molding on the boot that flows into the light unit, whereas the Lancia is flush to the boot surface. So we are aiming for the smaller AM type fitting, but with a flush fitting against the boot.

I am not going for bumpers, so the rear wings / valance will be more like the AM, though not exactly the same. I’ll get better pictures next time.

AM Rear

Lancia Appia rear

Hopefully for next time, I’ll have some update progress on the front to share.

Last edited by Barber; 19th September 2018 at 20:16..