View Single Post
Old 21st August 2014, 14:40

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road
Default gear lever extension

hi ya, I extended the gear lever by cutting the original gear lever remote extension housing in half, along with the gear lever rod which runs underneath the cast ally housing. I then measured a piece of 25x25x3 mm box section to how long I needed to put the gear lever into a comfortable position . I then drilled the ally casting extension up through into the box section. I then counter sunk the holes to except counter sunk Allen headed bolts. I had to make the top holes in the box section bigger to accept a socket to allow me to secure the bolts.the only thing left then was to cut a piece(I think 15mm int dia, but not sure) tube to sleeve the original gear lever selector rod, which I drilled holes in, and then welded through to the bar. this was all done with the remote section removed from the gear box. it makes for a very study gear shift extension, although it does add height to the linkage, hope fully this will be covered with a nice console/gaiter . also to let you know my first attemp used just u channel, which seemed very strong and sturdy until fitted, but left the gear lever feeling like a pudding stick ( to much flexing/twisting ) hope this helps.