View Single Post
Old 28th January 2015, 18:42

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Speak German?

I have a little puzzle, my brake master cylinder is from a BMW, I don't know which, although I think I was told once...

I have started to pipe up the brakes and the old chestnut of which port goes where arrises once again. It would have been very convenient if the front brakes were connected to the back part of the master cylinder because that has two ports, and the back circuit to the single port at the front of the master cylinder.

However, given the rear outlets are marked 20 (mm?) and the front outlet is marked 19 (mm?) I am assuming the front outlet should go to the front brakes via a 'T' piece and the rear outlet with one outlet port blanked off, to the back brakes. That assumption because usually you need a greater pressure to the front brakes, the back brakes just assisting, also you don't want the back brakes locking up well before the fronts have started to bite.

I have made a photo of the m/c; beside the 19 and 20 markings there is a letter, my query relates to the letter, does it indicate H and V to indicate F and R (front and rear)?

Also, can anybody explain why there are two outlet ports on the outlet marked 20?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, while I could look a word up, H and V are difficult to look up! ...Just thought, perhaps I just look up Front and Back in German?

Anyway, any suggestions still appreciated.

Ordered the gaskets for the engine today, may start assembling that tomorrow.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 28th January 2015 at 18:51..