View Single Post
Old 5th March 2012, 11:11
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Dash & Console

Thought it was time to add a few updates:

Whilst it was so cold in the garage, I decided to move my dash and centre console on.

And this is the final result, now covered in leather..............

There is more here ....... http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_bmw_marlin_cabrio/

...............I have to say I am chuffed with the way it has finally turned out.
(well there is a little more to do, as the icons are for temporary show, and need the correct ones in the correct place, before gluing in posistion)

There are issues with IVA as it is, and I have a plywood template to place over the instrument bezels, and will remove the flick switches. If anything else does not meet with approval, I'll end up fitting black vinyl wing piping along the offending edge.

I have beefed up the strength of the dash with triangulated supports welded in - despite being screwed to the plywood dash there was not a lot of strength in the centre to resist the Start button being pressed.I have now scewed the dash to the console as well, and the whole structure is much less flexible.

These are shots of the dash and console covered in a dense foam, giving it soft edges and a nice tactile feel.