Thread: F 275gtb/z3
View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:11

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default Adapting the door frame

I have been guided by Tribute Automotive's thread on Geoff's 250 GTO and wondered if it would be easier to remove the Z3 door skin before adding a new fibreglass skin. I have managed to cut out the area around the door handle and leave all the mechanism in place except for the plastic outer handle which would foul the new skin. I then pop riveted an extension plate to the handle pivot so that I can use a replica push button handle mounted higher up.
Turning my attention to the glass and bearing in mind that the 275 glass is flat whereas the Z3 is curved in both directions I wanted to see if flat glass could be accommodated within the Z3 door carcass. The two problems are first to move the bottom of the guide out sufficiently to get it to line up with the top of the Z3 screen and second to match the curvature of the quarter light. At the moment I don't think that is possible. On the other hand if I go for curved glass, the problem then becomes how to match the 275 roof line. Hmmm (thinks).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3369a.jpg (98.5 KB, 101 views)