View Single Post
Old 29th March 2013, 18:38

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Body Shell Preparation - Continued:
Attempting to tidy up the rust & old paint with various wire brushes in my drill just did not work.
More on that later, instead I measured the distance between the wheel arches on both the Cordite & Spitfire.
The Cordite is around 143cm at its widest point, which makes the Spitfire just a few cm wider.
( Which seems consistent with the "fast build" Navigator photo where the arches are just poking out. )

I did the cutting in stages so I wouldn't cut through anything I wasn't supposed to in error.
This gave me a much better view of what I was doing & I kept the arches as wide as practical.
Overall, the arches were in pretty good condition behind the wing, passenger side was worst.

Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

While the angle grinder was out, I tidied up the lower bulk head corner on the passenger side.
The sill was already rotten, so it was better to remove all that was left of it.
I also removed a few of the brackets that I don't need & which seem to be water traps.

I also removed the lip that the soft top poppers are attached to as it was a rusty mess.

So instead of tidying up the pile of stuff in the middle of the car, I'd made it worse!

I then did a quick bit of shopping for some rust treatment & a sanding disc for my grinder.
This was definitely the right tool for the job compared to the wire brushes...

So I went around the boot & some of the other rusty sections to clean them up.

Unfortunately, by this time the light was fading & the weather turning, so I call it a night.
I was just putting the tarpaulin back on when the hail stones started, so good timing.

The plan for tomorrow is to prep both the front & rear sections for some painting.
I know I still have repair work to do, but I want to start treating / protecting the rust ASAP.

Take care, Paul.

Replies
Cheers chaps, it may have had one careful lady owner, but that was definitely a long time ago!