View Single Post
Old 25th August 2014, 11:33

davecymru is on a distinguished road

The new radiator is here and mounted and i notice that the newer style "traditional" Vitesse rad that i have gone for has offset cooling tubes rather in-line like my original one and the one on my Sammio. So i'm expecting good things from this!

But ignore the bolt-together bits, this weekend has been about the bulkhead!

After much pondering and looking at the big pile-o-aluminium i ordered from metals4you.co.uk i first extended the sides of the supporting frame forwards with 25x25x3mm steel box section.

Then I welded a horizontal 4mm thick steel plate from the drivers side upright and spaning across the back of the brake and clutch cylinders to bolt them to (making a nice strong pedal box even before the extra alloy L section and panels are in place!!)
This is also what the new throttle pedal is going to be bolted on to. Now from this point onward i'm hoping that everything else is going to be alloy.

You can see that plate and the first of the alloy cross members in this pic

And now for the fun part making all of the panels!

ATM it feels very much like "Insert tab A into Slot B" And I've already learnt the hard way not to fasten anything in place until I've got _all_ the parts ready!!

I've already got a load done but i've also found that i really need the front floors in place before i go too far!
So I've had to bite the bullet and start fabricating two of those out of alloy so that i could get the measurements for the rest of the parts. But i'll be using the main dropped floorpans from Mike when they turn up.

Last edited by davecymru; 25th August 2014 at 11:35..