View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 07:29

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to be rude. There's no issue with the arc of the bonnet fouling the locking pins.

The 'keyhole' escutcheon plates have a fairly large, oblong slot to take the top of the pin, and you just drill a hole the same diameter as the widest part of the slot. The edges of those holes where they're wider than the slot in the escutcheon are hidden by the aluminium surround and help guide the pin onto the oblong slot.

The tops of the pins are also rounded which helps guide them into the slot while my pins are mounted on stainless (kitchen cabinet) brackets that allow a little movement at the tips of the pins. That wasn't intentional but does make it easy to locate the pins properly by just sliding your fingers under the back edge of the bonnet and moving them into place if necessary.

Swifty, glad you like my more original looking scoop and it's surprising how little details like that can transform the look of the car.

My 356 is on hold while I refurbish my Spyder - after four years on the road in all weathers it was looking a bit tired under the skin - and even though I now have loads of time I only really have the space to work on one car at a time.

When I do start work on the Speedster I'll do a build thread somewhere, but there doesn't seem to be a forum for German cars on madabout. For the moment it still looks like this -

I had intended to go with a Speedster glass screen and convertible roof when I do build it -

...but the idea of a totally stripped out racer with a Spyder screen and dash is worming its way into my thoughts -

I'll let you know when the 356 build gets under way, but for now I have a Spyder to finish. Again...