View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 13:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Perspective - Part 2:
Whilst all the above it true, I had a real "Every cloud has a silver lining" revelation/moment earlier on today…

It had all started off well enough when I took my long board to the passenger side of the body shell.

Then I extended the area at the rear edge of the bonnet on the driver's side.

Next, I had a look at possible locations for attaching brackets to hold the bonnet locking pins in place.

At which point I quickly realised this job would have been a lot easier if I'd done it before fitting the heater and dash.

As there seems to be very few options for evenly spacing the pins out that doesn't clash with something else on the bulkhead.

Thankfully, I may have found a potential solution due to the way my body shell's scuttle area overhangs the Spitfire bulkhead underneath.

So if I had the pin/bracket located around somewhere around here…

The other end of the bracket could have a bolt going straight through the scuttle around here.

Note: This is not the 'real' bracket, I was just looking at the spacing.

As this may turn into a bit of a mess, I will also look at Psycho Pops' approach which was to copy racing Lancias.

So far, so good, with the slight exception that the clouds overhead were a little bit darker than the weather forecast had predicted.
( Not a great photo. )

Undaunted, I mixed up and slapped on a skim coat of filler on the passenger cockpit side.

You will notice that this isn't a particularly good photo.

And that is because in the time it took me to get the last bit of filler on, the sky went black and the rain starting lashing down.

To say I was turning the air blue around me would be a serious understatement.

I had to stretch out the tarpaulin to keep it from sticking to the filler…

Before I dragged everything else back into the porch.

But it was after this that I could really accept that I will not end up with a high class paint finish and that is really OK.

Building this car outside is the real achievement and a 'somewhat rough and ready' paint job will not take anything away from this.

( Well in my eyes at least and woe betide any tyre kicker who wants to highlight the faults in my car when I'm done. )

Anyway, it the time it has taken me to write all this up, the sun has finally returned outside so I'd better carry on…

I'll be back with more updates later, cheers, Paul.