View Single Post
Old 5th December 2015, 14:50

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Odds & Ends:
It will come as no surprise to regular readers to hear that the day started with some plywood painting / treating.

Then I revisited my plans for the second vertical panel to seal off the bulkhead to body shell gap.

Originally, I was planning to have a small overlap where the two panels joined at the top.

However, given the fact that the first two panels are now fixed in place, I decided to make the third a flush fit.

After a bit of cutting and trimming, both panels could be slotted into place.

Note:
The gaps around the panel should help the bonding paste get a good grip (I hope).

Then I mixed up some more bonding paste and covered the remaining edges underneath the horizontal panel on the driver's side.

I also sealed off some more of the gaps between the bottom of the framework and the sides of the body shell on both sides.

To say this bonding work is a messy job would be a serious understatement.

Then it was time for another painting session for the newly exposed edges.

Next I loosely refitted the cockpit side panels & the fact the cockpit side lip is now tidy makes a big difference.

I put these panels in so I could roughly mark a couple of key areas with masking tape.

Then I mixed up some fibreglass filler to apply along the inside edges of top corner bulkhead panels.
( Which was particularly hard to reach and I could not see what I was doing. )

I also "topped" up a few areas along the floor level "bridge".

Finally, I started to extend the area covered by Tetroseal, as I now know how it will all fit together.

But I think I will need to use a roller for the next stage of painting, as there is very little room to play with.

Unfortunately, that was all I had time for today, as family stuff will take priority later this afternoon.

Given the way the wind is still going strong an the front of the car is jacked up I needed a bit of weight on the cover.

Our Christmas tree / decorations will be going up tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'd get any car work done.

So until next time, take care, Paul.