View Single Post
Old 27th July 2016, 00:09

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Default feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
I take it the fan was wired the wrong way?
Jim, that was what I though.

But on inspection the blades are shaped such that it moves more air when rotating in one direction.
In effect a previous owner had fitted a suck fan but placed it in front of the radiator, explaining why it had a habit of overheating.
It worked great sucking air from around the engine when the car was in the shed, but not so good when driving.
It might have been simpler to get a push fan but I have this habit of making do from what i have.
I keep cutting up bits of the old fiberglass roof, bonnet and doors to bridge the wheel arches, make interior panel and strengthen the G46 body etc.

Chesil were more than happy to supply the 500 screen, they said my money was as good as anyone else.
The kit came with all the rubbers, trim and bolts all tapes in position. Good quality cast uprights with a great chrome finish.
There were 2 problems:
1. The g46 scuttle did not match the curves of the bottom of the screen at the angle I required.

2. I had to extend the metal frame so that the uprights had something solid
to bolt up to as I suspect the fiberglass body would not be strong enough.

Charman.
The roads are very quiet, but narrow so you have to be prepared to pull up suddenly for the odd flock of sheep, deer, hare, cyclist or combine harvester.
I do wonder how far I would have to drive before I pass one of those car tax cameras.

I did see a police car pass pass the house the other day but found out he was off to a road accident a few miles away
where a driver had met a supermarket home delivery van and taken a diversion into the roadside hedge.

My original thought is BRG, but I quite like the vignale two tone black and green.

However, looking at the car from the rear, the 550 screen draws me to the classic silver made popular by Mister Towed. (I might have to swap the lights, add fake air intakes and red stripes)

Thanks for the kind comments Guys.
You cannot put a price on the help all those other builds have been in getting me through my various problems.

HM