View Single Post
Old 30th December 2017, 16:56

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default 5 series sportster builders - double check your fuel tank

Evening all,

I think I am the only 5 series sportster on the road at the moment but hopefully this will help any one currently building. Over the summer when driving the car I could hear a metallic scrape / thud when going over pot holes, I checked every single thing I could think of but could never find the culprit. I just put it down to the suspension making noises.

However I removed the rear body and fuel tank this afternoon to do my fuel system upgrades and think I may have found the culprit. I found a witness mark on the drivers side front of the fuel tank, and also a corresponding mark on the rear anti-roll bar. It looks like the roll bar has been hitting the fuel tank when the suspension is absorbing bumps.

Luckily it looks like I found it in time, I expect it would have rubbed through the tank in a few more hundred miles.

Not sure if this is purely down to my positioning of the fuel tank as I did pack it with rubber around the edges to keep it secure. Most likely it’s isolated to my build but it is worth checking!

I don’t think it’s a major issue that will require any modifications if only taking a small bit of metal off the antiroll bar where it’s fouling.

Just thought I would let those building know as it’s a lot of work to go back and drop out the fuel tank!
Available from eBay