View Single Post
Old 6th September 2006, 14:10
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDane
Moving away from the magazine and publicity discussions for a moment…..
Hi AndyDane
I’m not sure this is moving away from the subject of magazines.

Part of what you are saying is that you weren’t properly informed about the true difficulties of building a kit car. The supplier was hardly likely to tell you the true extent of the problems – was he?

The magazines haven’t told you either: but is that really surprising? We’re in an industry in which two out of three of the magazines are published by people who’ve never built a kit car, have no plans to build one, no inclination to build one and no ability to build one. So, how would they know what’s expected of a builder? How could journalists of that kind offer any kind of practical advice? When they do, what basis is there for trusting their opinions?

When they recommend this kit over that one, or vote a particular vehicle “kit car of the year” – what are they actually conveying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDane
I think the industry needs to be more honest to potential buyers… create FAR better build manuals; have far better support services….

Anyone agree or disagree?
We all know that one such publisher, for his own personal gain, has unfairly and unjustly attacked certain products for dubious ‘technical’ reasons and, possibly worse, praised and recommended other products as fitting and performing ‘perfectly’. This before even seeing a single finished example; let alone witnessing its ease/difficulty of build. That’s hardly an honest approach – hey?

I wonder if the manufacturer of the kit that’s been recipient of the praise sees the need for a decent set of instructions, or a helpful telephone manner?

Ridding this industry of this kind of, incompetent at best and corrupt at worst, journalism would be a significant step in the right direction in my opinion. I reckon that a level playing field, reported upon by people who actually know what they’re talking about, and without having their hands in the till, would help restore confidence in this industry.

One magazine is trying to achieve just that. The other two resist: one by saying that all that’s been said is lies; the other by saying we’re “Fiercely Independent” – whatever that means.

So, I agree your diagnosis but believe that a fair, honest and competent press is the mechanism to ensure the industry’s progression. Fair, honest criticism would bring about better kits, manuals and services.

Den