View Single Post
Old 24th August 2015, 09:40

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Car Photographer - I saw your DVLA questions on the Tribute tread, so thought I'd post this link here:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5192

As Sammio & Miglia builds (new body on existing chassis) are probably closer to your kit than the Tribute approach (body panels on a monocoque shell).

I think the key to your approach to the DVLA will what details are on the existing V5C.

Although your last post makes me slightly nervous...

"...the chassis on these needs to be lengthened slightly..."

As long as this lengthening process is via "something" bolted to the chassis you have a chance.

However, if your chassis has been "cut & shut" to make it a few inches longer, then that will be a major problem.

The "8 Point rule" allows you to keep the donor Spitfire's registration number provided you have an original, unmodified, chassis.

You can make minor chassis alterations (I've cut off old bonnet fixing brackets & welded on new brackets).

But you can not make any structural alternations and the new body shell must be bolted into position, not welded.

Just to be clear, you can cut & weld a chassis, or build a new one, but then you lose the donor car's identity.
( Which means a different route to getting registered with the DVLA and will include a IVA test. )

Hope that helps, Paul.