Thread: Sportster Info
View Single Post
Old 26th August 2013, 22:31

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
i am looking to purchase a marlin sportster kit car in the next few weeks, so im trying to get some basic info on how the builds go, are there any known IVA issues with the sportster?

also i want to use the BMW m3 Lump, but when looking on ebay it seems there are loads of different variations, i want the 3.2 Evo engine, is this the e36 M3 engine i should be looking for? i was planning on using an emerald ECU however it seems the BMW engine uses there VANOS system, which is controlled by its own trickery, i expect this means that i will need the engine loom, ECU, and key and transponder is there any thing else along with the above that i will need? finally are there any wiring diagrams online that help with merging the engine loom to the car loom?
Hi Mcramsay,

Just to echo the comments from Peter and Mike, you need to get an absolute commitment from Marlin that they are able to supply all the parts of the kit you will need. I was at their premises in May this year. It is a two man (and one woman!!) show and they seem to be winding down due to health issues. I was told by Terry that they were making no more Sportsters and that the one they had in the "factory" (early stages of an E39 based diesel build) was the last Sportster they would produce.

They may have had a change of heart and if that is the case then great. But you will need to understand exactly what the supply (and support) situation is for what is certainly a long term project. If you get a positive response you'll end up with a fantastic car. I have just put mine on the road and it is worth every bit of heartache, frustration and head scratching that comes free of charge, direct from the Marlin factory....................................

Nigel