View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 15:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Scimitar Based 1950's Style Race Car

Following on from a subject touched upon on my other thread on here regarding the Sammio Spyders - I have decided to start a new thread covering our new project , The working title is SAMMIO G46 - That might change !

The new body is being developed to fit the Scimitar SE5 chassis and running gear...The SE5 is 99'' wheelbase as opposed to its SE6 sibling that is 103.5'' ...The later version has been adopted by the Hot Rodders as its pretty much Ford Model A or Willys Coupe dimensions , as well as being only 2.5'' shorter than the Ford Model B chassis...we are using the shorter chassis as it is dimensionally more appropriate for our needs being slightly shorter and a few inches narrower as well...This is still a big car though at approx 14' long !

The project is concentrating on body production at present ...it is being built in the same way as the Spyder , a replacement body for a stock Chassis ( no mods at all - many people using these chassis remove outriggers and the fuel tank - not us !! ) The body will rely on the Scimitar bulkhead in the same unique way the Spyder does and the example we are building currently uses the entire Scimitar floor as well - its there , we may as well use it !......The cars will undergo a re-name only , no IVA , still retaining original registration , tax exempt where applicable etc. etc....This body will feature , seperate double skinned doors a bonnet and maybe a bootlid as well !

My colleague and myself have started shaping the body up ...we are using lots of foam strips to get the voluptuous curves of a mid 50's car that I am looking for and work is moving on steady inbetween 'proper' work...

Heres some taster pics , you need to use a bit of imagination at the moment , but I'm really pleased with the way its shaping up so far....

I'm not sure how far these will be developed as a 'kit' yet ....initially bodies and sundries only and we will build some turnkeys as well ....prices are to be confirmed but initial calculations suggest that a full bodyshell with accompanying panels etc in an extra thick layup should be around the £1500-1600 mark

Last edited by lancelot link; 4th March 2017 at 08:59..
Available from eBay