View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:04

TynoPrime is on a distinguished road

With the bay ready to go,it was time to start reassembly. The bottom end was ready to go, but the top end needed the same treatment. So I spent the next 6 hours with a soft wire brush attachment and lots of WD40 again and cleaned the top side of the combustion chamber and the valves.

This is how it looked before I started on them;

I wanted to do everything I could to avoid having to pull the valves out of the head, as I don't have the correct tools to remove the valave springs and didn't want to end up doing more damage than good. Again, with myself and my wife being furloughed and on 80% of our wages, I wanted to keep the spend down as much as possible.

After cleaning the valves themselves and the head, everything looked in fantastic shape - so the last thing I wanted to do was check if there were any leaks where the valves seat against the head. I watched a few videos and seemingly most people use WD40 or the like to check for leaks by filling up the cylinder and leaving it for a while.

I did the same, filling up one cylinder at a time and leaving it in there for an hour to check if anything was coming through into the intake or exhaust ports. Luckily, not a single drop came through so I was happy enough that i wouldn't need to pull the valves.

And after the several hours of cleaning, the top end looked like this;