Thread: Breakes
View Single Post
Old 25th December 2011, 19:37
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike joiner View Post
Hi there have just taken over the build of a 5exi and have read with intrest all the info on this site. All of the info has helped a great deal and I have avoided several promlems thank to all your experiance. At the moment I am thinking about breaks I have some doner hub and am looking for a little advice as which disks I should be looking for. I am looking at a 1.6 or 1.4 rover k engine so do not plan on anything to mad any help would be great
Thanks Mike
Mike

If you have read the posts you know that the standard Rover 200 rear set-up and hand brake are just in spec. for the MoT with the weight of the chassis when built. Unless you spend a lot of time getting the cable routing right and the callipers overhauled even as JohnI found new callipers are still marginal.
Review the posts from JohnI and myself to see the technical debate and pics on the rear brakes.

The engine size and power is not a deciding factor for brakes the finished weight is what makes the difference.

If you still have to buy the bits go for the 280mm disks and callipers to match from a ZR and then you are well inside the test margins and its a straight fit no modification to the standard assembly.

Also remember that the hub fitted to the rear (that was the front of the doner) will need the 54.6mm centre machined down to 54mm to allow the rear disks to fit.

If you don't understand that bit let us know and we can assist.
You can machine the rear disks centre out, but first change/refresh and the new one will not fit either unless machined before fitting as well, easier to do the hub at the start.

Hope this helps.....

Dave at TrackDevelopments can support you machining needs and mods if needed.

JohnC