Thread: Breakes
View Single Post
Old 29th December 2011, 20:47
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

My 2p:

- Rover 200 stock 260mm front / 240mm rear with Rover master cylinder is a terrible solution.
- Rover 200 weight distribution is at best 60/40 front rear, the marlin with a k-series is probably more like 45/55 front rear.
- Rover stock setup results in extended braking distances as you can't exploit the grip available at the rear. You will lock the fronts up regularly.
- Rover 260mm front, with ZR-160 / ZS-180 260mm rear discs and calipers is a better bet if your hubs can accomodate the calipers.
- 260 front and rear with a stock master cylinder still has far too much front bias...... you will keep locking the fronts, just a little less frequently.
- If going for stock calipers you're best bet is a dual master and to junk the rover servo / master. You don't need a servo on a 700kg car.

- I'm presently fitting 280 mm vented front and rear, as the 260mm front & rear were still too compromised for my liking, but road use 260mm front and rear will be fine. In fact for road use, I'd try and fit the smallest Rover front discs you can, and the biggest rears you can.

- Have a look at Elises / VX220s / MR2s / Boxsters / Caymans and you'll see the significantly different disc / caliper bias they have compared to all FWD cars.