View Single Post
Old 6th July 2018, 08:52

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default 250 SWBc version 2

I have bought a second kit from Chris, this one is going to be built up with my son who has just finished Uni, or at least that was the idea. He has had a job interview up in Scotland so if he gets it the build will be tricky to say the least.

Not going to be a full build thread but just a few hints and tips also highlighting any changes in the kit from the last one which was a very early one.

First Impressions

Kit seems to be far more refined, the panels have a gloss finish apart from the doors. The doors are much better finished and look as if they will fit much better.
The bodyshell is considerably lighter than the first one so the bonnet should work fine on the standard bonnet rams.

My first kit was finished in white gelcoat which was mainly matt, it was an absolute pig to see how the sanding and finishing was going, the new one is in grey and is nice and shiny, this makes any ripples and imperfections much easy to see.

My son wants to keep his car on the road as much as possible so it is going to be built up on another donor which I am meant to be doing the Daytona on. The idea is to get it all fitted to my donor and then swapped over to his car.

The clams are in the back garden and we made a start on the bonnet. I made the mistake of the first build of filling the gaps on the bonnet mould lines before sanding them down. This was wrong as the bonnet just needed sanding down and no additional filler was needed.
We sanded down all the bonnet flash lines with 120 grit electric sanders, followed by a quick pass with 200 grit. I then used my polishing mop with some G6 compound to bring the shine back to the shell. This allows you to see any imperfections that need any extra work.
You can buy 5 meters of 120 grit velcro paper for £11 on eBay, as soon as it gets smooth replace the paper, it makes the job so much quicker. You can reuse the old paper later as it will the be more like 200 grit.
It took my son and myself an afternoon to sand down all the bonnet mould lines and then polish them. Almost no filler will be needed.
On the last shell I had it put in an over to check for air pockets, only found one. This time the shell has been sitting in the garden for 3 weeks as I have been away on holiday and because it has been so hot I will not bother with the oven.