Thread: Wing Stay Mount
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2009, 22:03
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
That's good news! I think I will try this method first as it doesn't involve any welding. Can you tell me where you obtained the beefier U-bolts from?

Cheers

Robin
Hi Robin,

it was ebay again. Check out this guys listings......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Heavy-Du...3A3%7C294%3A30

I bought 45 mm clamps which were actually a bit larger than 45 mm so I had to squeeze them down a bit to fit my 320 uprights. He's currently listing 48mm and 51mm clamps. Not sure which would be best for your uprights? They are made in Canada and come with nuts which I suspect are UNC rather than metric so i just used the nuts that came with the u bolts. They seem very strong but are not plated so need painting.
The bolts holding the Marlin bit to the plate are 10mm metric. You have to drill out the wing stays out to 10mm holes.

I also got the 6mm plates cut to size of an ebay supplier but they were really badly cut and not even square! I used 6mm steel so that it didn't bend too much when I tightened it all up.

You'll find the wing mounting points become nearer the centre of the car which means there is more clearance between the wing stays and the inner alloy wheel rim.

...peter