View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2016, 20:31

swifty is on a distinguished road

The SU fuel pump arrived end of week so i decided to fit it to the car and see if the hot start problem is fixed.

IMG_6723.jpg

SU fuel pump, same as the one fitted to a stag.

IMG_6724.jpg

Made a bracket to mount the fuel pump to the petrol tank sub frame, ive deliberately mounted the pump next to the tank where it will be cooler than if mounted under the bonnet.

IMG_6725.jpg

Pump fitted and piped in ready to go.

Well after all the work involved (3 hrs) the engine was ran up to temperature then stopped for 5 mins with the bonnet closed then cranked the engine over only to find the hot start issue was still there, so back to the drawing board.

Next i intend to remove both carbs to check the float height and also the fixed jet height in relation to the carb bridge as i fitted new jets when overhauling the carbs, i believe this measurement to be 100 th or 2.54 mm give or take a little LOL. The fixed jets in the strombergs are a push fit in the carb body which means they can potentially give a rich or lean mixture, the needle can be adjusted slightly to enrich or weaken the mixture but this is a very small adjustment so if the fixed jet is a mile out then problems will occur, may have to see if i can purchase a second hand emissions meter just to see what the CO reading is.

All in all not the result i was wanting.

One thing that was a result was the panel deadening i used to combat the drumming and vibrating of the rear panel fitted behind the seats, i bought a box of smart price vinyl floor tiles with glue already applied from B&Q for £6, they work a treat and are a lot less money than the sound deadening stuff you can buy.

IMG_6726.jpg

Black vinyl floor tile stuck to the back of an ally panel to stop the rattling.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.