View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Swifty, sorry if you've already made this obvious somewhere in your thread, but whereabouts in the country are you?

I have a pair of (worn out) 150 Strombergs sitting in my garage that you're welcome to borrow to see if they work on your GT6 motor. They're jetted for a mk1 Vitesse engine but still ran ok when I put a mk2 cam in.

They won't allow the engine to rev above 4,000 but I never had a hot start problem with them so you may be able to eliminate the carbs as the problem if they'll start your engine from hot.

There's also the possibility that it's nothing to do with the fuel supply or carburation. A friend of mine has a Mk2 Jag that he's owned for thirty years and has recently recommissioned himself (very talented chap, a farmer who restores cars in what little 'spare' time he has, it's his full lift and Willys Jeep in some of the pictures I posted last year). The Jag had a terrible hot-start issue and would cut out while on the move then refuse to start almost every time he took it out. Once it cooled down it'd be alright for a while, then cut out again once hot.

After a year of head scratching he took advice from a Jag expert who recommended he have the distributor reconditioned. Since he had that done his Jag hasn't missed a beat. Just a thought...

Triumph also used two suppliers for their distributors, btw, Lucas and AC Delco. I have Lucas and haven't had a problem, Phil J swears by AC Delco, in fact he couldn't get his bike carb'd motor to run at all with the Lucas version so fitted an AC Delco one in its place and the engine started no problem. I have one of those in my garage too...

Oh, and I love your floor tile anti rattle solution. That's exactly the ethos of the Sammio experience - imaginative solutions to those little (and big) issues. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 23rd May 2016 at 06:15..