View Single Post
Old 20th February 2021, 19:35
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Good and bad today.
First the bad news....
I attempted to dissasemble the master cylinder and it's just one mass of rust. I don't think it's worth saving.
master_cylinder_us by Robin Martin, on Flickr
So the hunt is on for an alternative. After a lot of Googling I found the GMC234 which is used on the TR6. It is designed to be mounted at an angle, and the bore is 20.3. A bit larger than the cylinder used on the Marina but probably not disastrously so.
gmc234 by Robin Martin, on Flickr
It also has the advantage that the servo it is used with (still available new) looks pretty much identical to that used on the Marina.

And the good news is, after much fretting, I decided to go for drilling out the old studs on the exhaust manifold and re-tapping it to fit new ones. All my other efforts at removing the old ones had failed miserably. But in the end it proved to be much easier than I thought.
manifold by Robin Martin, on Flickr
The observant might notice one of them is a bit on the p!ss. Well 5 out of 6 isn't bad and I don't suppose anyone will notice!

And this arrived in the post. The Alfa 8C was what the Marlin was loosely based on. You can see the family resemblance.
alfa_model by Robin Martin, on Flickr

Cheers, Robin