View Single Post
Old 11th January 2015, 22:49

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I have a soft spot for Berlinettas so keep the progress photos coming.

A couple of thoughts on the seat belt issue.

The Berlinetta was never designed to meet the current safety requirements of kit cars: it is too narrow to be able to raise the turret height for the seatbelt mount, as the tops will then stick out of the side of the hood/hard top.

One option would be to fit a 4 point harness secured behind the seat, as in "racing bucket seats" - the seat must be strong enough to take the loads imparted on it in the event of an accident. I guess the praticality of this depends on whether you want to make use of the Berlinettas "rear seats"?
Hi Mike, the Berli is slowly growing on me! I have now replaced the scuttle and boot lid, with aluminium panels. If I can develop my skills with the wheel to create my own wings; if I only get part way to the original concept of the 1930's Alfas I will be well pleased.

The Berlinetta has many issues that wouldn't meet current safety requirements, not least the front cross member. yet I haven't heard of a single report of any consequences resulting from that component. I am minded to install a brace between the two sides to add some rigidity.

Although I am sticking with the V8, I am doing so not for speed but for pulling power. I grew up driving large capacity cars. A Riley engined Healey, several Alvis 3 Litre's, Mk 3 Zodiac auto, Rover P6's auto and manual, SD1's etc. An enduring memory is of riding in the back of my fathers 1936 Alvis Silver Eagle down Oxford Street at about 70 in the middle of the night, about 2am! The sound from the 2 inch copper exhaust reverberating from the tall buildings. I was probably about 7 or 8 years old then. I may have grown older but I still haven't grown up yet! LOL

Copper exhausts are on my list!!! <vbg>

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 11th January 2015 at 22:54..