View Single Post
Old 25th September 2012, 12:05

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Hm & Wca

What can I say, now you know why we cut ours about so much.

We used a centre line on the body and took the horizontal lines of the garage floor tiles to plumb down to and measure offsets and then measure up from the floor to the underside of the chassis for the the datum.

Rear end took ages getting the wheel arches correct in all dims and we still have to make slight adjustments.

Making sure the floor plan is in the correct position on the chassis and fixed helps we also took some key dimension triangulated from the front suspension pillars like back to bulkhead, forward to front end and each side to wheel arch

To get the front end correct has been difficult, but I think I have caused most of those problems by making the front end fixed /bonnet rather than clam shell and our bulkhead was not quite square on the chassis, in the end I have to slice the bonnet in half so ended up with two wings which we cut a slot out off to re-aline all looking good now, but now have to get the wheel areas looking the same.

It would be easy to end with a car looking different from both sides!!!
Will update with photos at the weekend.

But I will say that this part of making the job a job I know we all agree that it is this element of the build we enjoy! and as you proceed you add in your personal touches, look at Mr Toweds air scoops brilliant.