View Single Post
Old 25th September 2012, 17:57

andrewhush is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
How about the horizontal datum line

You might want to check the distance between the wheel arch and the bottom of the door shut measured horizontally. On mine, if I continue the line level with the bottom of the door shut, backwards until it hits the rear arch there appears to be 2cm difference.

I spent an afternoon trying to line up the body after I fitted metal plates behind the door slam panel that are to be tack welded onto the end of the flat angle on the frame. The drivers side rested perfectly leaving just enough overlap to weld the plate and the frame together. On the passenger side the plate was about 1cm behind the frame.

After much measuring of the frame, the body inner, pushing, shoving, swearing I finally measured the out shell and discovered the difference.

This was just before I went on holiday and i haven't looked since so there is a chance i was just having a bad day when I discovered thgis. I will be checking again at the weekend.
I spent some time trying to get wheel arches, rear wing tops, front bulkhead and door openings at the same level each side. There appear to be some asymmetry in the body so you have to chose the points you think will have the most impact on the car's finished appearance. I chose the rear wing tops and the outer curved sections of the front bulkhead approx 22" either side of the centreline (which was marked by plumbing up with a spirit level at various points along the body's length, finding the mid points and finding the best line through them all). The door tops ended up at approx the same height each side although the door bottoms differed by 1". The door lengths are also slightly different but these can be accommodated as I can move the sides back by different amounts. I need to have the front edge of the door openings directly opposite each other otherwise my screen will not end up at right angles to the centreline. The rear wheel arch tops will need some levelling up which would push me in the direction of forming new (round?) arches. I read somewhere that peoples faces that are considered to be beautiful always have some degree of asymmetry which suggests that the G46 is likely to be the world's most beautiful car!!! Can't ask for any more than that!

Last edited by andrewhush; 25th September 2012 at 18:01..