Thread: F 275gtb/z3
View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:20

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Hi George
Interesting stuff! I’m building a Dino at the moment and have been trying to understand the rules on windows. Your

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit 275GTB View Post
I have had a definitive reply from VOSA re glazing. The front window must be made from safety glass (not plastic) and E marked by the manufacturer. The windows to each side of the driver must be made from safety glass or safety glazing (i.e. treated plastic) and be E marked.
confirms what I thought.

However I must admit that for the rear window I thought that it should be “Safety glazing” and should be “e” marked on the basis of these statements in version 9 (June 2013) of the IVA inspection manual, section 45 Safety Glass :-

4. All other windows (including sunroofs and removable glass panels) and side-screens must be “Safety Glazing” (which may be made from glass, or from plastic) and display the relevant markings. (see notes 2, 3,4 and table 1)

Note 3: “Safety Glazing” made from plastic means material which is so constructed or treated that if fractured it does not fly into fragments likely to cause severe cuts. “Safety glazing” made from plastic must have an “e” mark applied by the material manufacturer.

I am also aware that Table 1 of this section states that for “Other windows and other glazed panels”, which (I understand) includes the rear window, the “Relevant markings (Mandatory) in addition to “e” approval” requirements” are “None”
Does this bit of your note from VOSA refer to “Safety Glazing” or “e marking” or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit 275GTB View Post
There is no requirement for the rear or sunroof or windows behind the driver.
Cheers
Neil