View Single Post
Old 8th June 2016, 09:37

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Cool Brushed Alloy paint

The paint that was used to give the brushed alloy effect needed to be applied at a high temperature, too high for a GRP surface (Warping and shrinkage), but am told would be ok on a metal surface. They did try it at a lower temperature and it came out a matt grey finish. So it was re-done. I was looking for a chrome finish originally and brushed alloy was the nearest I could get to it, so this is why we tried it. The paint was an effect paint from Germany and I am told was high metal flake content but really runny like water, unlike normal paint which is much thicker in consistency. So I ended up with a silver high reflective finish paint, which is bright and shiny and much closer to my original thinking. The car was painted gloss white before the effect paint was applied, apparently this makes it more reflective. The whole process took sometime with considerable amount of hours to get it to where it is now, which I am grateful to all concerned

Please kindly don't ask me any technical questions on the above or flame me if you think it is nonsense as this is what I have been told and I am certainly no paint expert or anywhere close to being one.