View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018, 10:47

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

So bonnet part three. So with 24 hours passing for the bonding agent it was time to open the bonnet. I was met with this challange.

The bonnet was fowling on the chassis in a few places.

So to gain access and for me to try out the bonnet arrangement I opted to cut out part of the opening of the mouth on the bonnet.

This did seem a bit extrem but I want the bonnet to operate freely and I would adjust the mouth to suit at later time when the bonnet is finally adjusted in to place. Also on an original spitfire the top of the bonnet only flips forward, the lower part below the bumper line stays in place.

The next eight photos show the bonnet and inner bonnet. As well as using the bonding agent I also counter sunk in some pop rivits to act as belt and braces as the whole bonnet arrangement was quite heavy. At this point the bonnet stut was added back on to the car so I now had a bonnet I could open and close.

So I do have an opening and closing bonnet but it was still a bit flappy. So I added two bracing bits to the top bar going across the car and used the same process i used at the back of the car to hold the main body on, only this time much longer but smaller diameter countersunk set screws.

After carrying out this, the bonnet was now firm. The bracing plates were also countersunk and pop riveted and the whole bonnet adjustment was tightened up and overrider covers fitted.

As I still had some time and good weather I carried on and tried to finish the bonnet.

The work now was to address the gap for the shut lines.