View Single Post
Old 13th October 2014, 17:59

davecymru is on a distinguished road

hummm.... I'd not thought about the Herald door hinges, I think I let mine go with the doors to a very nice man with a beard. ok... so 90% of the very nice men who had parts also had beards... but I ramble..

EL PRIMER - Thank you for your very kind offer! I'm almost tempted to have those hinges off of you just you to tinker with. But as I'm happy with the way the Mini hinges are progressing it seems a shame to have those off of you in case someone else could use them!

That aside, I thought I'd better post the rest of what I've been up to this weekend as things are progressing apace now!
All of the bonnet reinforcement was cut away, which seems like a hell of a shame, but makes the bonnet much more adjustable and a ridiculous amount lighter!

I also fitted the drivers seat so that I could start to work on ergonomics!
With that in place I fitted the side mirrors from the original Vitesse and I'm very happy with how they look and more importantly, I'm impressed with how much rearwards visibility they give me! Which makes a difference to the Bullet mirrors which is had on the Sammio!
I've also made a first stab at fitting the aero screens.

Then I fitted the new lighter and more flexible bonnet and refitted the hinges with big penny washers to help the stress (I might make up plates eventually to replace those and bond them in place)
Note: You need to use LHT on the right side of the bonnet and RHT on the left side and it works and looks a treat!

Then I fettled the edges with the flap wheel in the angry-grinder and it really started to take shape!

Then I reused two of the mounting holes I'd cut for the rear-hinge experiment as mounting holes for the bonnet pins and they are ideally placed!

And in traditional fashion for me, the pin mounts are currently a bit Heath-Robinson and _far_ too over engineered! But they work, so will do for now

Finally I cut the hole in the rear deck and fitted the filler cap that came free with the Spitfire tank. That'll do nicely for now!