View Single Post
Old 28th December 2016, 07:33

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Spray Job

As I'd never paid anyone to paint a car before, I decided to go by personal recommendation and got three. I'd already bought the cellulose paint from a couple I know from the Beaulieu Autojumble.

The first guy came to mine to have a look before committing. He was a typical know it all: in his 20s; tattoos; body piercings and a 'look, I'm a twat'. haircut. He told me that "nobody uses cellulose any more, you want it done in water based two-pack mate". I explained to him that 'He who pays the piper calls the tune', but he just wasn't listening. I was relieved when he roared off in his hot hatch: tinted windows and 'The Best Jungle CD - Ever', unsurprisingly.

I had high hopes for the second, he was recommended by the bloke who does my tidy welding for me (I do the untidy bits that can't be seen). He listened carefully, ran his hands over the project and quoted a reasonable price. Unfortunately he was in the throes of having new premises built and was unable to commit "anytime soon".

The third was recommended by a friend I met when we both had Dutton Phaetons back in '82. I went over to his place to discuss and was impressed. There was a scattering of MGBs, Minis, A35s etc in the yard and a black Porsche 911 in the booth (read 'concrete floored Cotswold stone outbuilding). We spoke the same language and I liked the way his eyes lit up when I described the project - he'd already asked me all about my Mk1 Marlin Roadster I'd arrived in. As the project wasn't in front of him we danced around the price a little before agreeing a slightly elastic ball park figure.

After removing the lights; screen; tonneau cover studs etc another of my kit car friends from the early 80s towed me over there, sadly not behind his very early and beautifully patinated Westfield XI.

I'm not one to chase and my mind was partly on my impending S. America trip, so it wasn't until about three weeks before I sailed that I gave him a call: it was a sort of "It'll be ready on Wednesday" moment. I realised he hadn't touched it but he had my trust and we agreed a pick up and pay date.

It was around the back when we arrived and I can honestly say I couldn't believe it was my car. I had a good look over it and saw that there was DIY work to be done. In his office (read barn) he agreed to my paying him 75% of the above mentioned as there was overspray in places. We parted on excellent terms - he's looking forward to painting my S4 Lotus Seven .

I got very good VFM; Nitromors is cheap and I have plenty of time. Had I not been under time pressure with the trip I would have gone and had a look first, discussed the (in my book) minor shortcomings in the job, and agreed the way forward (my 'Bullshit Bingo' tick list came to mind using that phrase!).

So, in a nutshell, I got what I paid for and will be more than happy to go back.

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0248.jpg (97.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 18th September 2023 at 11:26..