View Single Post
Old 20th April 2015, 07:26

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a big scary monster View Post
Now my brain hurts as I own something with a serrated friction type lock mechanism with a thumb bolt that is exactly what you need for the windscreen and I can't think what it is, ebay 141625191572 or Google/eBay schnorr washer.
Thank you Ed, although it will be a while before I am tackling that aspect of the car that's very useful info, I hadn't heard the term schnorr washer, although I was obviously aware of them.

They crop up on barbecue table sunshades, bicycle seats and occasionally angle headed tools like window cleaner mops and the like but mainly made in plastic nowadays. Looking at the example you posted it appears to be simplistically moulded, so perhaps I could make an attachment or fixture for my angle grinder and make them myself... I have access to a milling machine but it doesn't have a rotary index.

For the windscreen the location will have to be very positive.

Given I will probably only need the windscreen in perhaps two positions, flat and upright, I had considered instead of using schnorr washers, to use two small dowels at each side of the car, which engage in holes in the screen pivot hubs instead of using radial grooves. That would be very positive but lack the authentic serrations and the ability to make smaller angular adjustments to the screen rake.

A less elegant but simpler solution would be a variation of the Land Rover windscreen pivot hinge. At least that is naturally strong and fail safe, in that it can only pivot back as far as it is allowed until it locks. It doesn't have to be as crude as the LR design, although I really would like to use the neater schnorr washer style if I can.