View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:05

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul, my visiting experts are well impressed, I have a succession of visitors most days who are retired shipyard workers on a wander, they tend to stop by and check out what I am doing, keep an eye on me so to speak. The grill had drawn several complements. One neighbour tells me he has a spot welder which he thinks will weld the mesh to the frame neatly and without the distortion which I could get with TIG. So he is bringing it home for me to try tomorrow evening.

I have never used a spot welder so it will be a new experience for me.

I have cracked on with several undocumented tasks like making an access hole in the gearbox cover, so I can top the gearbox oil without needing to go under the car.

I have started to make the finished dashboard. In the end I have opted for 1.5mm aluminium, I plan to spot finish it (engine turn). I still haven't decided exactly how I will present the dials. I have laid out the positions and folded the shape, the dash is bolted in and just need fine adjustment in the morning, too late for the tap, tap, tap of my panel beating hammer now! I have to take the dash back out again and cut the holes for the oil pressure, water temp, fuel and to mount my old clockwork clock which I intend to fit. I also have an old Tapley meter, it sort of the reverse of the old brake testers they used to use for the MOT, except it measures acceleration or the steepness of hills, a sort of inclinometer. If I can I would like to fit that in the dash too, I am sure there is room, it works perfectly.