View Single Post
Old 25th April 2015, 21:05

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words Paul, I spent some time with a test meter and have concluded pins 1-4 are all separate in the 'OFF' position and are all connected in the 'ON' position; pins 7-8 are connected in the 'OFF' position and are separated in the 'ON' position.

From some research looking at writing diagrams of numerous cars it seems there are a confusing variety of configurations using the switch.

Generally two flasher units are used, the 'normal' one and a dedicated four way flasher unit. When the switch is set to off, the normal flasher unit is fed via pins 7-8. When on, that connection is broken and pins 1-4 connect both side indicator circuits, the output from the four way flasher unit, and the four way flasher warning lamp.

I plan to create my own hybrid circuit using most of these features inc. two flasher units and separate indicator warning lamps, left and right.

I am currently fitting the warning lamps and switches into the dash prior to wiring them up. One sticking point is the stalk switch, I had one which came with that car but having spent a couple of hours fitting it, it refused to work properly and finally fell apart. :roll eyes:

I know I have two more , I found one which was missing half it's innards, the other is in hiding... So Monday may see me visiting my favourite breakers yard...

The spot welder has arrived but the metal to form the grill frame has not. I tried the spot welder on two 2.4mm rods and it welded them instantly. I don't see any difficulty in spot welding them to a 4mm rod.