View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2016, 07:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave, Scottie & Jones - Thanks gentlemen.

Your positive feedback helps to stop me falling into a "can't see the wood for the trees" trap.

As, after spending so long building this car, I really do see all the differences in Pop's post #2541 above.

But when the sun was shining yesterday, the car really did stand out as much more than the sum of its (mis-matched) parts.

So this is great motivation for me to keep working my way through the long & time consuming "MOT - To Do" list.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Factory Standards
The other thing I am trying to do these days is stop comparing my efforts to the really stunning builds on here (e.g. Swifty's).

Now don't get me wrong, I have always tried to achieve the highest possible standard I can with this build.
( And the car would not look as good as it does if I hadn't aimed high. )

But I really need to stop beating myself up about the "wonky" bits, as they reflect both my skills and race cars from the 1950 & 60's.

I used this photo on Smash's 250 SWB bumper thread to point out that the original car was NOT built by robots.

"Back in the day", many racing cars from this era were built/prepared in sheds by blokes with fags in their mouths.

And this photo of the Team Lotus Grand Prix team mechanics in action did make me smile.

Especially when you consider they are working in better conditions than I am:
- The ground isn't sloping at a silly angle.
- Their tools are in a big van next to them, not at the end of the garden.
- There is more than one of them and they are mechanics, not accountants!
- Etc.

MOT
The only thing I am vaguely confident about is that I should be ready for an MOT before the end of 2016.

As, unfortunately, the harsh reality is that even small jobs can burn time at an alarming rate.

However, I really feel that the build is now gaining the momentum needed to keep pushing through the list of jobs.

So whilst I didn't use any of the "big washers" I made yesterday, they are now ready & waiting for when I need them.

Not sure if I will get the chance to work on the car today, but I'll be back later if I do.

Cheers, Paul.