View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:32

smash is on a distinguished road

At the time - about 10 years ago it was 4K - not sure how that equates now.

I've had kit cars all my adult life - 30 odd years. I damaged the front if my cobra towing it (I actually managed to break the output shaft on the Top loader gearbox!) Anyways I had to have the whole front painted as it was metallic red and the painter couldn't 'lose it' anywhere so painted back to doors. The colour match was very close but slightly off - it was the original AK Demo car in Which Kit and no one had any idea what the paint was. Closest match was a Renault colour. Anyway I decided to have the doors and rear end re done to match. Total cost was less than 900 in 2004. Painted on Canvey Charfleets estate by a guy named Stewart.

This is the car - the stripes are vinyl. It last changed hands through a dealer for 26K. It looked stunning.

I'm glad you're happy with a 6.5K paint job - any pics? I'd like to see what 6.5K of paint looks like

I know how much prep my Tribute Kalifornia needed because I've visited regularly to see progression - the flash lines are really bad to start with plus symmetry and alignment issues - Dax cobras always had bad flash lines too.

@Roadster - I totally rebuilt the interior of my Noble P4 (fastest car I've ever owned - over 500bhp per ton) - clad in alloy with alloy seats (recently sold for 49K - not by me!), I rebuilt the engine on my AK cobra and completely retrimmed the interior (it was horrible magnolia when I got it), I helped my brother build his Midas Gold back in the 80s. I've worked on all my kit cars - thus is the first one I've used a build agent for. I did this cos I'm 50 now, I don't have a proper garage to build in and frankly, I haven't got the time nor can I be arsed to do it. Plus the build agent has done, in my opinion, an unbeatable job at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by smash; 23rd March 2016 at 05:43..