View Single Post
Old 21st October 2017, 05:18

nzidol is on a distinguished road
Default Another Kiwi...

Hi Mark,

Good to see another Tribute kit coming this way. I have the exact same Z3, although a 98 model so I can remove the front bumper.
Note that the rule is build before 1 march 1999 and imported before 1 april 2002, so does not have to be NZ new... Mine was imported in 2001 from South-Africa and like yours in perfect condition.

The remark on structural integrity seems a bit strange given that the bar is mounted on shock absorbers and a rotating pin there would not be much intended structural integrity there. I am ordering a 250 California so should not need any certification just a normal wof....

In discussing the 250 Coupe with the LVVTA here in Wellington they did point to https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s...ior_Impact.pdf section 2.4.9

Code:
all sections of a roll-bar or a roll-cage positioned adjacent to any A-Zone
must be covered in a high density energy absorbing material which:
(i) meets SFI specification 45.1 or another equivalent motor-sporting
specification; and
(ii) is not less than 15 mm in thickness in the area facing the occupant
cell.
A-Zone is 160mm either side of the center line of the seat and should be completely clear..

With a cabrio you can have unprotected steel bars next to your head but with a fixed roof you can't. SFI 45.1 is a motor-racing spec and only makes sense when you are wearing a helmet. Clearly the rule targets certification of Targa car's but you probably need to be aware of it and also see if they don't object to the construction of the roof support (if you call it a roll cage they certainly will have lots of requirements).
Adding rubber will reduce the head space further.... and yes I did sit in a 250 Coupe when I was in Europe and, with standard seats and being 6.6", it is cramped, another car with bucket seats was more like a standard z3. Just need to find a smaller steering wheel....

It looks like http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com has very reasonable shipping cost and they don't charge VAT on export, so looking forward to receiving the headlamp rings. Most Mini parts are readily available in NZ but rear window could be a problem...

Looking forward to the day we can have both cars in a picture.....

Cheers,

Ido