View Single Post
Old 13th April 2014, 18:37

swifty is on a distinguished road

This section shows the wear on the old rocker shaft.

IMG_4179.jpg

The new rocker shaft at the top has deeper flats machined, i think this may be an improvement to help in lubing each rocker as they pivot on the shaft at this point. I have laid the old shaft next to the new so you can compare between old and new.

IMG_4178.jpg

You can see the extreme wear on the rocker shaft where one of the rockers rotated, it looks like the shaft has been starved of oil at some point, just about all the rockers had picked up the same as this one, poor maintenance by a previous owner, so let this be a warning to regular checking and changing the engine oil.

IMG_4176.jpg IMG_4184.jpg

This shows the point where the rocker comes into contact with the valve stem (the point you put the feeler gauge in to adjust the gap, this images shows the rocker arm upside down), the valve stem has worn an indentation into the rocker toe. The second image shows what a new rocker looks like, no wear at all. Apparently this wear affects the angle at which the valve opens so effecting the performance of the engine.

IMG_4203.jpg

The cylinder head fitted and torqued down, valve timing is checked to make sure its correct i did set the cam shaft up with a dial gauge on no 1 piston prior to fitting the cylinder head, then each valve gap is set to the correct tolerance. Made three new rocker box studs out of my favorite material, stainless steel.

Job done and the engine is beginning to come together, the real test will be when i start her up so fingers crossed all will be ok.

Last edited by swifty; 3rd January 2015 at 20:41..